Friday, March 12, 2010

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chiles

Several years ago I had these enchiladas at an office potluck.  One of my co-workers wives made them.  They were SO good, I went back for seconds and made my self sick!  I BEGGED him for the recipe, and a few days later his wife sent it to me.  I've been making these at home ever since!  I was never able to figure out where she got the recipe, but found it by accident on Kevin and Amanda's website.  Her recipe lists 1 can of Rotel tomatoes and green chilies (ehem..their chiles, not chilies!), however I'm a diehard green chile fan, so I would never consider using canned unless I was in a pinch.  There is no other taste in this world like a fresh green chile.  If you haven't tried them, what are you waiting for? Order some!  About once a year I order New Mexico frozen green chiles from Da Gift Basket.  Funny name, but their green chiles ROCK!  You won't be disappointed!  They have so many uses from soups, to enchiladas and one of my favorites things.. Chile Rellenos.  Don't even think about making a Chile Relleno using a Poblano Pepper.  It's a sin!  The only other variation we tried in the enchiladas was using corn tortillas.  They just don't hold up well.  You can't find a decent tortilla in Florida if your life depended on it!  I just recently switched back to flour tortillas, and not only do they hold up well, but when the cheese melts on them, they get a little crunchy on top.  It's YUMMO!  Enjoy!   

Ingredients
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1 can green chiles, drained (you can order fresh ones online!)
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, cut up and softened
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast (or cheat and buy a rotisserie chicken!)
6 - 8 (8″) flour tortillas
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 pint whipping cream

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9×13 baking dish with Pam. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add rotel and saute 1 min. Stir in cream cheese and chicken and cook, stirring constantly until cream cheese melts. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of chicken mixture down center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas and place seam side down in a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish.  Sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese, and drizzle with whipping cream.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 min. Take off foil and cook for another 15 mins, or until top is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment