Monday, March 22, 2010

Adventures in Cupcaking

I have been on a cupcake kick lately! Maybe Camicakes has something to do with that? Anyway, I think a cupcake is the perfect amount of cake and icing. Not too much. Not too little. Even my husband who isn't a cake person, loves them. In my free time, I surf all over the internet looking for unique recipes and stumbled across this one from Ina Garten (aka The Barefoot Contessa). It's her Coconut Cupcakes recipe. All the reviewers claimed it was the best cupcake they'd ever had, so I thought I'd give it a whirl! They are not easy to make by any means, but well worth the time. They're also REALLY pretty cupcakes. I used a white liner, and a star tip to pipe the icing. I'd venture to say you could even add some pineapple, and make it a Pina Colada cupcake! When I finally finished the cupcakes, my husband sat down with a cupcake and a glass of milk. He got really quiet, so I didn't know if that meant he hated them or he was in complete ecstasy. When I couldn't stand the anticipation anymore, I said "So... how are they?". He said "Honey, this is the best thing you've ever made". "They're even better than Camicakes". WOW! I wouldn't go THAT far, but they are damn good! They sort of remind me of a Macaroon. The only thing I would have done different is reduce the cooking time just a tad. It says to cook from 25-35 minutes. I checked mine at 25 minutes, but they weren't done so I set for another 10 minutes. They turned out a little dryer than I would have liked. Next time I think I'll reduce it by 2-3 minutes and they'll be perfect! I'm already on the hunt for the next cupcake recipe. How does Banana Cupcakes with Honey-Cinnamon Icing sound? YUM!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment